Parallax Press is an independent nonprofit publisher in sunny Berkeley, California, in the San Francisco Bay Area, founded and inspired by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh in 1986. Our journal of mindful living, The Mindfulness Bell, is published three times a year. We are a part of the thriving Plum Village Community of Engaged Buddhism.
As mindfulness practitioners who are engaged in the daily work of bringing treasured wisdom to publication, we offer a work environment that is participatory, flexible, energizing, and creative. Our books are distributed by Penguin Random House Publisher Services and available wherever books are sold. We have more than 175 books in print, publish 15 new titles per year, and are continually engaged in growing as publishing professionals and as people.
We currently have no open staff positions. Check back on this page in the future for other employment opportunities.
Parallax Press offers an internship program as an entry point to book publishing for people motivated to gain work experience in a mindful creative company. Internships at Parallax Press provide exposure to varied aspects of publishing including editorial, production, publicity, and marketing.
Examples of intern tasks may include:
- Attending editorial and production meetings
- Attending sales and marketing meetings
- Tracking and reviewing new submissions with Submittable
- Writing reader reports
- Researching audiences in Buddhism, nature, sustainability, wellness, peace, and social transformation
- Assisting the editorial team in daily tasks (proofreading, checking corrections, etc.)
- Copy editing and exposure to book industry standards
- Transcribing talks by authors
- Database review
- Applying for Cataloging-in-Publication data for new titles through the Library of Congress
- Helping organize online events
- Publicity mailings and email blasts
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and internships generally run for three to six months, one or two days a week.
We currently have no internships open until June 2021, but you may apply by sending your résumé and cover letter to jobs @ parallax.org with the words “Internship application” in the subject line. Due to the volume of inquiries, we regret we may not be able to respond to all applications. No phone calls, please.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Parallax Press is committed to diversity in its publishing program and in fostering an equitable, inclusive work culture and environment. Parallax encourages and actively recruits applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religious and spiritual tradition, ability, sexual orientation, and gender.