Parallax Press is an independent nonprofit publisher in sunny Berkeley, California, in the San Francisco Bay Area, founded by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh in 1986. Our journal of mindful living, The Mindfulness Bell, is published twice a year. We are a part of the thriving Plum Village Community of Engaged Buddhism.
As mindfulness practitioners who are engaged in the daily work of bringing treasured wisdom to publication, we offer a work environment that is participatory, flexible, energizing, and creative. Our books are distributed by Penguin Random House Publisher Services and available wherever books are sold. We have more than 175 books in print, publish 15 new titles per year, and are continually engaged in growing as publishing professionals and as people.
Check back on this page in the future for employment opportunities.
We are currently accepting applications for Summer 2022.
Parallax Press is currently seeking a creative and organized intern for our Marketing and Publicity department. As an intern, you will want to work with us for at least 10 hours a week for a minimum of three months. How you schedule those hours is up to you—we’re super flexible.
So if you are interested in mindfulness, wellness, and social justice, and want to learn more about the Plum Village tradition founded by Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh, we are excited to hear from you.
After this internship, you’ll be able to update your resume and LinkedIn profile with some of the following items:
- Assisted with building a publicity campaign for XX book, including writing author interview questions, scheduling and attending marketing/publicity planning meetings with authors, and pitching bookstore events for new titles
- Under supervision of the Publicity Director, outreach to book reviewers as needed for upcoming titles
- Maintain the Publicity Grid, reporting new publicity hits for frontlist and backlist titles, and the publicity reporting page for distributor (Penguin Random House)
- Update our website with relative news items pertaining to authors and media
- Start a relevant project that helps make the publicity and marketing department run more efficiently while improving research skills
- Social media planning and engagement on Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok, etc.
- Helping organize online events
- Publicity mailings and email blasts
Additional highlights of this internship include sitting in on exciting marketing meetings, meetings with our authors, connecting to mindfulness practice and Plum Village, in addition to working with the different sections of publishing( example editorial and production). Needless to say, you’re going to learn a lot, so being a fast-learner with enthusiasm is a plus. Sense of humor helps too.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and internships generally run for three to six months, one or two days a week. This is a remote internship. Pay is California minimum wage.
You may apply by sending your résumé and cover letter to jobs @ parallax.org with the words “Internship application” in the subject line. Due to the volume of inquiries, we regret we may not be able to respond to all applications. No phone calls, please.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Parallax Press is committed to diversity in its publishing program and in fostering an equitable, inclusive work culture and environment. Parallax encourages and actively recruits applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religious and spiritual tradition, ability, sexual orientation, and gender.