Submission & Permission Guidelines
Book Manuscript Submission Guidelines
Parallax Press is the leading publisher of books on mindfulness and daily life. We accept submissions from both agents and individuals. We accept nonfiction and fiction manuscripts for adults and fiction and nonfiction manuscripts for children. We do not accept poetry at this time.
Our authors include: Thich Nhat Hanh, James Baraz, Bari Tessler, Spring Washam, George Mumford, His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Joanna Macy, Gail Silver, Sulak Sivaraksa, Christopher Willard, and many others. Please review current titles before inquiring.
Interested authors and agents should send a five-page proposal, along with two sample chapters, to the Submissions address. The proposal should include:
- Title, Subtitle, and Word Count of Project
- Synopsis: A three paragraph synopsis of the manuscript.
- Audience: A paragraph of the primary audience for the project. Demonstrate that there is substantial interest in this subject in the market.
- Market: Give examples of what other books out there are comparable to this book and how your proposal is both similar to and different from these books. Other indicators of market interest should be addressed as well.
- Author Biography, Resume, and Platform: Attach a current resume, including relevant social media platforms. Along with a biography, address specifically why you are the right person to write this book. Include your writing experience as well as your credentials in the area you are writing about and any boards, organizations, and networks of which you are an active member.
- Table of Contents and Sample Chapters: Include a full table of contents as well as two sample chapters from the book (the Introduction can be included but only as one of the sample chapters).
Please include your email and phone number, as well as mailing address, in a cover letter that accompanies your proposal. Unfortunately, manuscripts cannot be returned.
Proposals may be sent to:
Attn: Acquisitions Editor
P.O. Box 7355
Berkeley, CA 94707
Queries are accepted by emailing Submissions. However, please send chapters and attachments as hard copies through the mail. Parallax Press does not accept simultaneous submissions. Response time is usually 6–8 weeks.
Requests for permission to use any material copyrighted by Parallax Press must be submitted in writing and should include the following information:
- The title and/or page number(s) of the source of the excerpt
- The title of your book
- Your publisher
- The format of your book (i.e., hardcover, paperback)
- The print run of your book
- The number of pages of your book
- The retail price of your book
- Your contact information, including full address, email, and fax number (if available)
Please send your request to:
P.O. Box 7355
Berkeley, CA 94707
Email: permissions [at] parallax.org
Please allow 4–6 weeks for processing.
Parallax Press welcomes all foreign rights inquiries.
Download our 2017 Foreign Rights Guide.
Publishers interested in obtaining translation rights to titles by Thich Nhat Hanh should submit a written request to the following agents:
Inquiries for translation rights for all other Parallax Press authors
Sales & Inventory Manager
All requests should include the author’s name, book title, and the language of proposed translation.
Required information about our book
Date of Request: